PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire and Chinook near-miss
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 22:44
NutLoose

Received 2,931 Likes on 1,250 Posts
was quite surprised to see him having a pop at the two seater Spitfire operations ("madness") - as far as I know at least three of the UK-operated two seaters are genuine Vickers modified airframes, most of the rest have been built up from scrapped aircraft or wreckage recovered from where they crashed in WWII. It gives those of us without the finances or requisite piloting skills the opportunity to experience flight in these marvellous aircraft.

OK Hawker Restorations have bought back his nice "Hurribomber" and are modifying it to two seat status which may seem a shame - but it was a genuine field modification I believe, plus the aircraft in question is a CCF built XII rebuilt from a scrap centre section and not the aircraft it purported to be.

I think it's great to have the chance to fly in a Spitfire, a Mustang, a 109 (alright a Buchon) and soon a Hurricane. It seems he doesn't agree. Rather sniffy in my opinion.
I agree with him, more and more single seaters are being converted over to twin seaters to satisfy the demand, as it's one way owner operators can make money, this is at the demise of "historically" accurate single seaters, there were very few trainers, and I think they were a post war abomination for the IAC.
re the Hurricane being built from scrap, most are, very few Spits are survivors and original, most rebuilds have few original parts in them, a data plate is all that's really required for a rebuild, and even that can be replaced.