PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-22 Prang at NAS Fallon, Nevada
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 16:01
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDotStu
No matter how many things you instrument and test, you will always find a tester/end-user who finds new and interesting ways to abuse the product that are neither expected nor intended. It seems to me that pilots and aircraft are subject to the same sorts of issues - once you've seen someone do it, it's obvious it needs handling....
Hi BDS!
Yes, there are always things that can jump up and surprise everyone. However, inaccurate flying and non adherence to targets/limits of flying SOP's, equipment use, procedures and the flight envelope are the bread and butter of automated flight data monitoring. In this case, any half-decent FDM application would have picked this up in short order. TBH, I do not know how such basic mishandling became so entrenched as the report seems to indicate. Of course, I know no detail of F-22 training and procedures, only what is listed in that unclassified report. I do wonder if the F-22 uses a FDM system but, they failed to consider the non-compliance with TOLD parameters as worthy of tracking or taking action on? If that was the case, they were plain dumb. Maybe that is the great unpublished part of this report? Anybody know? OTOH, I do know what an effective tool and contributor to Flight Safety FDM can be. Cheers

OAP