PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-22 Prang at NAS Fallon, Nevada
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 08:18
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I am clearly not articulating myself very well but I will try one last time to get an answer to the question I’m trying to ask.

I understand the system we are discussing. I realise what parameters are recorded and how they can be used to find data.

My question relates to how it would have fit into daily operations on the Raptor Sqn such that the trend for underspeed rotates could have been spotted and eradicated.

So, for instance, jets go flying then come back. FDR traces are downloaded. Somebody sits down and looks at the data, having previously been notified of key points to look out for. That person looks at all the fight parameters and says “‘ere guv’, that’s the third time this week I’ve seen aft stick pressure applied at a speed several knots less than the correct rotate speed of the day given the prevalent meteorological conditions”. The guv’ says “do you know what mate, you’re right I must go and see the Sqn Boss and let him know I’ve noticed several of the Sqn pilots apparently rotating at a speed below the ideal” (because the FDR analyst guy has an encylopaedic knowledge of the TOLD computer as well as being a trained FDR guy).

The Boss says “by Jove buddy, you’re quite right. Good spot. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I must put a stop to this dangerous and incorrect habit immediately”.

A $400,000,000 jet is thus saved by the clairvoyant FDR guy who just happened to be looking at a parameter at a certain stage of fight that nobody had told him to look for.

I realise this appears like I am being glib and facetious but do you at least understand the point I’m making?

How could this accident have been prevented by FDR monitoring without the benefit of the hindsight this accident has provided us with?

If I have not made my point my now I will give up.

BV

Sorry to quote your whole post Bob but, you are a stuck record and, you keep missing the points, like the leader of the opposition!

I was going to try and cover some of this again but, I have re-read and, everything has been covered but you have a fixed opinion, in my opinion.

The simple reality is, Flight Data Monitoring does provide early heads-up on trends and errors.

On a happier note, it is a good thing that modern automated monitoring of flight parameters and crew performance will eventually cross over into FJ flying. It gives a real benefit in improving standards and is actually the friend of professional aircrew.

Cheers

OAP