PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 22:51
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
DB

As for your ramblings in post #478 about the SHED BUSS, Rad Alts and Landing Lamps; I suggest that the next time you get into a 135, switch on the Battery, switch on the Avionics, (leaving the SHED BUSS switch alone) and notice that the Rad Alt and landing lamp are powered.

Granted that any moveable lamp will not be powered, but to be honest what real use is it anyway in a night auto?

Where was it pointing when last switched off, has it possibly reverted to the stored position when switched off. At any height above c100’ what will it actually show you and with any attitude change at the end of the auto (c100’) will it really be of any benefit.

Us mere mortals will probably be having a devil of a time with Nr, looking for somewhere to be aiming for and then gauging the flight path without any need to be faffing around with a switch in the roof (that no more is allowed to have a handy piece of string to identify it) to give us a landing light that we will then need to steer into a practical position.

I for one on take off, position the moveable lamp into the one o’clock low position where I know it will be when I switch it back on; it may be of some use when hurting towards terrafirma, however once I identify the rapidly approaching ground, it is time for an attitude change and in turn back to darkness.

As for your going for a relight, (why have they failed) ... generally operating at 1500-2000 you’ll not be surprised to hear that it won’t be too high on my double engine failure ‘to do’ list for obvious reasons.

I think that’s about all I have to add to this that hasn’t already been covered in the other threads.

Fly safe all