PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 17:16
Sam Asama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My short summary of what I perceive to be the most salient points of the NTSC powerpoint presentation:

"The next steps in the investigation process will include continuing to collect information related to aircraft maintenance and flight crew training.

The AoA sensor component that was removed from the aircraft in Bali was received by the NTSC and will be inspected in the USA.
the NTSC is requesting (via the NTSB) to get more information about AOA sensors installed at DPS (Bali), which had been repaired (or perhaps supplied) by a Florida repair station.

The NTSC plans to issue a Preliminary Report on November 28, 2018, but will first share the report with the Ministry of Transportation (and/or other government agencies) and Lion Air, and the families of the victims.

Further investigation: This was the first accident in the world for a B737-8 MAX aircraft, so it will be necessary to do flight simulations using engineering simulators and algorithms, especially MCAS systems (my emphasis) and others at Boeing facilities, Seattle and reconstructing flights that have crashed (or perhaps reconstructing various crash scenarios) to see the impact damage on the aircraft.

INVESTIGATION CHALLENGES: NTSC does not have sufficient internal resources for such a large accident. (NTSC) is currently being assisted by various organisations, such as BASARNAS, BPPT, Ministry of Transportation, Pertamina, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Indonesian military, etc. The current number of NTSC investigators (10) is not enough to carry out all investigative activities for current investigations in Indonesia.

NTSC does not currently have storage facilities for some of the aircraft parts that have been designated for further evaluation. NTSC also doesn’t have adequate physical space for meeting rooms for the various teams.

Due to the amount and complexity of digital systems of B737 Max 8 aircraft (and other new aircraft types) it will take NTSC a lot of time to study and understand the aircraft systems (especially new systems) in order to analyze any problems that exist."

Sam