PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-22 Prang at NAS Fallon, Nevada
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 16:36
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
So, for instance, jets go flying then come back. FDR traces are downloaded. Somebody sits down and looks at the data, having previously been notified of key points to look out for. That person looks at all the fight parameters and says “‘ere guv’, that’s the third time this week I’ve seen aft stick pressure applied at a speed several knots less than the correct rotate speed of the day given the prevalent meteorological conditions”. The guv’ says “do you know what mate, you’re right I must go and see the Sqn Boss and let him know I’ve noticed several of the Sqn pilots apparently rotating at a speed below the ideal” (because the FDR analyst guy has an encylopaedic knowledge of the TOLD computer as well as being a trained FDR guy).
Data is downloaded from each aircraft, as is presumably the case for engine health monitoring. Data is uploaded to a computer. Man (Flight Safety Officer?) decides which parameters need to be monitored. Computer scans data looking for events when parameters are exceeded (Vr below set figure in this case, rate of change of G loading between say 5g and 9g in another case with perhaps significant stores loading.) Computer churns out number of occasions parameters have been exceeded (may be de-identified in first circumstances, but open to further investigation if serious issues arise). Man looks at printout, daily, weekly or even monthly. Man does not have to study and interpret raw data.Trends can be highlighted for specific aircraft, mission profile, operating unit or individual pilot. Protocols are put in place for remedial action depending on circumstances and severity of events.

Never having used TOLD I have no idea whether it is calculated on board or not, nor what the usual range of Vr is. If it is calculated on board then it is recordable, if not then I would imagine that deciding a gross estimate would not be difficult and could, if required, be modified for for daily analysis depending on the exercises being flown, averaged gross weights, altitude etc...

The idea of studying graphical traces doesn't really come into this scenario until detailed investigation is warranted. Most airlines seem to be able to manage this type of analysis without necessarily employing an extra individual solely for the task. Perhaps it would benefit the military if they were to look at other aviation sectors to see if they can learn anything that helps.

Before you ask, yes I am ex RAF FJ, QFI and airline.