PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-22 Prang at NAS Fallon, Nevada
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2018, 10:46
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Firstly my point about not using FDR is more of a nomenclature point. My current aircraft has an FDR, CAR and HUMS. It is the HUMS that would provide this sort of routine data, not the FDR. I think the spirit of what we are saying is essentially the same.

Secondly, I don’t think you can read across everything from widebody to FJs but I understand your point.

I’m thinking about how a unit might have caught the slow speed rotation problem. On my FJ unit we would not be using HUMS (or call it FDR if you wish) for handling issues. It is great for catching overstresses though. Handling issues could either be debriefed in cockpit or using post fight debrief. But the F22 is a single seat jet. How would anyone know to even look for the problem? FDR wouldn’t help in that regard. What parameter would someone be looking for to discover a slow speed rotation unless they knew they were looking for it?

There are many important lessons to come out of this accident but using FDR (on a FJ) isn’t one of them.

Just my opinion of course.

BV