PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-22 Prang at NAS Fallon, Nevada
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2018, 10:24
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, unless someone who knows can tell us, I do not know what the level of skills supervision or evaluation is used to monitor F-22 Pilot skills. Likewise, I do not know what parameters the F-22 on board data recording can cover? However, I can read an accident report that reveals fleet wide routine mishandling of the F-22. Certainly, the RAF has had superb multiple parameter FDR available for diagnostic analysis in the Widebody tanker/transport fleet for over 30 years. Notwithstanding the support of well structured continuous assessment and recurrent crew training, the unbiased filtering of flight parameters provides early awareness of unwanted trends or problems with aircraft operation. The parameters generally include all parameters of flight, configuration and engine performance. Software filters the records for instances where tolerances or exceedance levels are reached. This might include fast rotation, configuration speed limits, angle of bank or, events such as EGPWS and TCAS, etc,etc... Such tools should be used within a supportive training environment, to avoid alienation of crews or the "spy in the cab" response. Professional aircrew will however, respond positively where the monitoring is used in a positive manner. Obviously, the flight profile of a modern FJ will differ somewhat from that of a large transport. Off the cuff, I would guess that the F-22 fleet does use this kind of tool but, has somehow failed to pick-up this dangerous handling trend?

OAP