PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ownership of risk
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2018, 23:16
BruntVaisala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could Be the Last - turbulence usually occurs with a northerly at MPA, that is a given as is turbulence downwind of almost all the high ground in the Falklands when it is windy, especially with an inversion thrown in.
What we are seeing at the moment is incredible. It has always been in the MPA orders book that there can be severe turbulence with a northerly, recent times have seen it defined a little more with the vague 56003 code. I say vague because all that means is severe turbulence, and only a small chance at that, it is the rotors that are getting individuals excitable.
Very few people (myself included) have any issue with long haul traffic being affected due to the cost of possible diversions. What makes no sense whatsoever is closing the airfield to commercial traffic, especially to an airline (LATAM) who operate daily into South American airfields, many of which I am sure suffer much more turbulence than MPA. Unfortunately (Glad Rag gets it in one) there is too much free time going around and some individuals are trying as hard as possible to ban aviation, or at least fixed wing aviation at MPA.
I know for a fact that none of the local FIGAS pilots have ever been approached regarding their thoughts about flying in and out of MPA and the turbulence that exists, and how it might compare to anywhere else in the Islands. Due to the ability of the Islander, and experience/skill of the pilots, there are very few days when they would decline an approach into MPA. Interesting given that they collectively have thousands of landings between them with the most experienced pilot there now having in excess of 20 years experience in the Falklands.
I guess maybe my last post was ridiculous, but only because it has been superseded. The ridiculous NOTAM published for tonight's wind bans overflight of fixed wing up to 4000 ft despite the code clearly being 5600THREE. Clearly the author of the NOTAM does not believe the met man???? Better to be safe though!!!!
Are you a pilot yourself Could Be, if so I would be curious to know what your aviation experience at MPA is.
Curiously though all of this BS only applies to fixed wing, I would be curious to know from someone in the know why helicopters appear to be unaffected. Oddly the airspace ban also only applies to the MPA overhead, are military aircraft banned from flying downwind of all high ground in the Falklands when turbulence is forecast?