PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta or cabair??
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2003, 16:32
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Sinsall,

Will try to go through all your points one by one:
1.Industry poor at the mo but will pick up by the time you finish(handy)!
If anyone you speak to claims to know when the industry will pick up, then they're obviously in the wrong industry themselves because they'd be fair better off as a clairvoyant! It does seem to be showing signs of picking up, but you must assume that it won't, and have a backup plan in case.
2.OAT the best for employment prospects unless you are from another country then opt for cabair!!?
I suspect that any employer would rather employ someone who went to a school that suited them, passed everything first time, and is a competent pilot, as opposed to someone who went to <insert your favourite big-name school here> because they heard that "employers like it", then found that the style of the school or the course didn't suit them, lost confidence, and just about scraped through the course. If OAT suits your needs, then use them - but that's the only reason for using them, or any other school.
3.Dont do a modular as the airlines do not recognise this as a 'real'qualification!only do a full time course
There are, apparently, a small number of employers who still hold this belief, which used to be valid under the old CAA system but isn't any more. They are gradually being educated, though, and those who are more in the know than me will, I'm sure, confirm that there are very few of them around now. There is very little reason to do an integrated course as a self-sponsered student, unless you feel that the only way you can pass is to be spoon-fed everything.
4.modular the best way to go as you can go at your own pace
That's definitely an advantage of modular. But, if you prefer to have everything laid out for you, then maybe integrated is better for you. You can't give generic answers to this type of question, because everyone is different.
'Flying a cessna gives you the same sensation as being stuck in a boat with 50ft waves'(hmmm tempting)
Some people like being stuck in a boat with 50ft waves

Good luck!

FFF
---------------