PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic in Pilots
Thread: Panic in Pilots
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2003, 15:43
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Trish,

Have a look at the training video that was made of the Saudia Airlines L-1011 accident. That was the one where a cabin fire resulted in everyone on board dying even though the crew had managed to make a safe emergency landing.

I saw it during a CRM course but I think you might usefully view it as an example of a panic reaction as well. In the end they were sat there in a burning aircraft without anyone managing to come up with the appropriate response, for whatever reason.

The word 'panic' just isn't very useful when it comes to aviation, I guess. It's too pejorative. And, by the very nature of panic itself, it's a very speculative diagnosis. Consider being hit on the head; you have no memory of the event if you suffer concussion. You have to guess or be told that's what occurred. Panic is similar; you might think you did a great job in the simulator. It is only when you look at the video tape that you see something really stupid and inappropriate that you obviously did, even when you have no memory of it!

If you really are looking for specific usages of that term, 'panic', if that is what your doctoral project consists of, then you may be barking up the wrong tree, so that you usually won't find it being used. If you want instances of 'an inappropriate response to stimuli' then you should have plenty of examples to work with.