PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quick question - RAF officer's cummerbund?
Old 19th Nov 2018, 21:18
Wensleydale

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Sadly the subtlety of high cut seemed to have been missed by many with shirt visible below the waistcoat.
Which shows the advantage of the Squadron Cummerbund. Back in the day, my waistcoat was just a front with a couple of elastic straps at the back. As years went by, a new No1 was acquired (second hand of course) but there was no real need to buy another number 5....until there was a three line whip VIP dining in night, and the PMC specified "Waistcoats - no cummerbunds". Needless to say, my No 1 Trousers fitted well, and I could get my jacket on (although it did not meet any more) but sadly, when I put on the waistcoat, it did not fully cover the white shirt area left by the jacket. Not only was there a gap between the waistcoat and the trousers, but there was also a white gap at each side of the midriff! Sadly, I had to return to the cummerbund, pretend that I had not seen the dress order (we did spend a lot of time on detachment) and accepted the fine of a bottle of port.

After that, it was down to the tailor at Cranwell for a new No5 uniform, although at the prices that were being charged, and the scarcity of dining in nights later in my career, I calculated that it cost me about £75 each time I wore my No5! The fines would have been cheaper.