PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Danny and all - Polish airmen in the RAF
Old 18th Nov 2018, 10:39
Democritus

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
I've just come across this thread and have a couple of names for you but little else. I believe Peter Peckowski was ex-RAF and he was the Chief Helicopter Flying Instructor at British Executive Air Services at Oxford (Kidlington) Airport in the 1960's and Ted Novak (or Nowak) was also there. Ted's name is anglicised, I believe.

I knew and flew occasionally with both Peter and Ted in the 1970's. Both did a lot of film work, mainly in Alouette helicopters. The BBC series Birds' Eye View showing England from the air was one TV series they did. They are listed as other crew here: Birds' Eye View cast .

I've found a photo of Peter at the far left in the cockpit of an Alouette during the filming of the film The Red Baron. My good friend, the late Peter Allwork is the cameraman.

Peter Peckowski did my Bolkow 105 helicopter conversion at Shannon in 1973. My abiding memory of that is him constantly smoking, even during my practice single engine landings! In the photo above he even has a cigarette in his hand!

I worked with Ted in 1974 - in fact when he lost his pilot's licence on medical grounds I took over his job. Whether it was true or not I don't know but I was told he was still in the RAF when the 1955 Dambusters film was made and that he flew one of the Lancasters. I last saw Ted in Aberdeen Airport in the early 1980's when he was working as some kind of statistician on an offshore oil rig.

Sorry I haven't got anything in more depth.