PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: An aeroplane is travelling away from an NDB on a track of
Old 18th Nov 2018, 10:34
Discorde

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
In the good old days we did IR renewal in the B767 sim under these conditions:

no autopilot
no autothrottle
no FMCs
raw data on HSIs
PF to make RT calls (including ETAs for next waypoint)

I used to brief crews under check: 'this is completely unrelated to real life but it'll keep your scan up to scratch and boost your confidence in your ability to hand fly in IMC should the need arise.'

Originally Posted by India Four Two
my instructor suggested "Once you have tracked to the NDB and have station passage, don't change your heading. You'll be close enough to the runway when you reach your missed approach time." It worked very well.
Many pilots found interpreting the ADF needle when tracking away from the NDB on final approach difficult. But with raw data (including track made good) displayed on the HSI the trick after passing the beacon inbound was to choose a heading which resulted in the specified track being displayed on the HSI. I suggested to crews they didn't need to watch the ADF needle too closely - fly the specified track and the approach lights will appear where they should.

Because of the conditions under which it was tested the IR was valid for all types.