PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 17th Nov 2018, 14:06
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
The 214ST accident report referenced above ("Most of the time") is instructive. Here's my takeaway.

1) Things happen FAST in a helicopter.
2) We pilots instinctively lower the collective upon ANY anomaly.
3) Having a 12,000-hour copilot with tons of multi-engine experience is virtually no help, thank you.

The bottom line of the Clutha Pub accident is that the PIC screwed up: He didn't have the transfer pump switches on for some reason. Now, you can analyze it to death...or 28 pages of PPRUNE drivel in this thread alone...but it doesn't change the fact that the pilot mismanaged his fuel...and then screwed up the (night, full-down) auto after a dual-flameout.

I know that in trying to explain or make sense of an accident...any accident...we sometimes go 'round and 'round, trying to figure out what mitigating factors could lead an experienced pilot to do something dumb. We naturally want to give the pilot every benefit of doubt. But we pilots are just human. We make mistakes. Sometimes we push when we should pull.

I made the same basic mistake in a BO105 once - left the transfer pump switches off. PHI was even nice enough to install little white lights on the dash to remind us dumb pilots to turn them on. But they were up at the top of the panel, under the glareshield and I missed them. Thankfully I was solo and it was daylight...and I was topped-off, so fuel from the main tank was feeding automatically into the supply tanks at cruise attitude. But I'll tell you, when I did my after take-off look-around of the cockpit my heart literally stopped when I saw the transfer pump switches. Just thinking about that day gives me the shivers. It is a mistake you make only once - if you live to correct it.