PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Frank Whittle and the Regulus Missile
Old 17th Nov 2018, 06:36
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Sir Frank Whittle and the Regulus Missile

So, what's the connection between Frank Whittle and the Regulus? Simple - Amazon Prime.
I went on Amazon Prime tonight to watch an unrelated movie, but Amazon is smart and know I tend to watch a lot of military and weapon related stuff. Sure enough, on the 'recommended' list it popped up "Whittle: The Jet Pioneer" and "Regulus: The First Nuclear Missile Submarines". Both currently available without additional charge on Amazon Prime (making the assumption here that the 'free' stuff on Amazon Prime is reasonably consistent in different countries).
'Whittle' was great - tells the story of his invention of the jet engine, with lots of first person interview stuff with Frank and other contemporaries. I already know the basic story, but this really filled in the blanks and elaborated on the gory details.
A couple months ago, I was in New York City and visited the Intrepid Air Museum - which includes the USS Growler submarine. I consider myself pretty well informed on the history of weapon systems - particularly the US weapons during and post WW II. But when I walked into the 'hangar' of the Growler I was stunned - I had no knowledge of the Regulus missile system (basically the first nuclear armed sub launched cruise missile). For those as much in the dark as I was, the Growler sub carried four nuclear armed Regulus cruise missiles in a separate, water tight 'hangar' on the bow of the sub. The Regulus armed subs patrolled of the coast of the USSR as part of the US "MAD" deterrent - eventually replaced when the Polaris armed 'boomer' subs came on line. They could surface and launch a Regulus missile with 15 minutes if so ordered.
The "Regulus: The First Nuclear Missile Submarines" program added considerably to what I learned about the Regulus - well worth the time to watch.
As noted, both available at no charge to Amazon Prime subscribers.