PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HeliOps 2019 Calendar Giveaway
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2018, 23:21
Goe4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ned, Sorry I'm so late in submitting my piece. Unfortunately I'm not a pilot although as a young girl was flying gliders! Now a mum of a pilot and an aeronautical engineering student! Last year's calendar is hanging above the desk, hopefully I can hang next year's there too! Last year I told you about my helicopter trip over New York, thanks sister! Unfortunately, I haven’t been up since so I have to go back to a few memories that I have which, as a mum of a pilot and an aeronautical engineering student, is quite easy! The first was in Austria, we were in St Johann, near Kitzbuehel, gliding in the summer. I was ground crew and one afternoon spotted an Austrian Air Force helicopter rescuing a cow from the mountains. This was a big deal for the farmer, and good training for the pilot and crew! All landed safely.

Another memory was with the boys, near Vienna, there was an open day in the local sugar-beet factory. Off we went, they were offering helicopter trips, so what does a mum of two flying freaks do? Off we went and did a circuit. It was great, although I think the youngest was a bit apprehensive! He was quite young!!

The last memory was at the Caernarvon Air show in Wales in the mid 90’s. The weather was awful! Low clouds and strong winds! Typical for that area. What was there? A SAR helicopter which one could get in and explore. The crew were really helpful and let the boys sit in the command seat and answered any questions they had. It was really super. Thanks once again to any crew doing this. You should have seen their faces when we got out! Then the Red Arrows did some aerobatics! Sensational despite the weather!

These are my memories with helicopters, which I see as an essential part of our lives, be it with the police, army, navy and air forces or in rescue work or in daily living. I wish all pilots safe journeys wherever you are.

Thinking of all your friends Ned, and also Danny42C, all so sad.