PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2018, 22:33
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MurphyWasRight
Note that the "condition - continuously' in the procedure does not describe the MCAS behavior in the (postulated) faulty AOA sensor condition since it works in 10 second (max) bursts with 5 second pauses.
Totally true that following this will remove MCAS trim inputs, if the condition was recognized.

As others have pointed out until the Boeing/FAA missives the existence of this feature was not known to operators or line pilots.
“Interrupted” (continual, NOT continuous) TRIM is NOT “Runaway” TRIM. The recovery procedure is not “totally true”. Boeing gratuitously “referred Pilots to “existing” procedures” as if they would recognize the condition. They could NOT have recognized the problem, It bore NO resemblance to true “runaway trim”. A burst of Trim, followed by absence of Uncommanded Trim sounds like the “occasional StallStall” 447 crew experienced. There is no way to see this problem as “partially known” as Boeing’s inference would have the public believe.

I can only repeat my earlier conclusion: How can Boeing be trusted to disclose any other differences NG/Max? They have no credibility. The regulatory process has morphed into “trust me, I build big airplanes”.