PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2018, 15:06
PashaF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Concours77

Four reasonably similar accidents, what is common?

AF447. Schiphol, Asiana SFO, possibly Lion Air.

All started with (qualified) flightcrew losing SA, and not being prepared (without judgment) for an increasingly critical flight path. A stable flight condition started to go sour, and imo, crew could not keep up. Unacceptable.

Something is missing from the flight path formula. (Or included, depending on POV?).

All developed when the breakdown from boring (familiar) airframe performance became rapidly terrifying. Name one accident where crew started with a prepared mental folder ready to cope.

I don’t think it is lack of training. We have become complacent with aircrew not understanding the airframe?

Training involves repeating what is known. It is lack of basic knowledge of the aircraft that created these tragedies, and in Lionair, the knowledge was withheld.

Without (moral) judgment...
The trend you outlined is indeed terrifying, however, i don't thing that this accident fits in "AF447. Schiphol, Asiana SFO, possibly Lion Air" pattern.
In this instance, pilots were well aware about upcoming technical problems, and obviously discussed their counteraction prior to takeoff.

Germany Flight 888T is the closest analogy i think.