PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-737 Speed Trim System
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2018, 13:26
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me, I have only been flying for 30 years and nearly 20 on the NG
So, after 20 years of 737NG experience, you suddenly have a problem with STS because you read something on PPRuNe.

So to all of you 737 NG drivers out there. Next time you take off, fly manually and let the STS work without interference. Clean up the aircraft. Tell me how the pitch controls feel. Let go of them (if you dare) and see what happens.
At the risk of repeating myself, who told you to fly the aircraft like that? That is not how it is intended to be flown. It is designed with speed stability, which means that an intentional speed change requires trim, like any non-FBW aircraft. So TRIM FFS. Like you’ve been doing for 20 years.

For those of you saying «just let the STS do it’s job». No. You can’t because it will bring the aircraft well out of trim.
No-one is saying that. They’re just saying don’t expect it to trim to what you want. That’s not what it’s there for. Trimming is your job. Boeing designs aircraft for pilots.

So either be a pilot or go fly an Airbus. Believe me, you’ll have a lot more “why is it doing this” questions on an Airbus.