PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-737 Speed Trim System
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2018, 12:31
Hi_Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredBA/BY
Just an interested bystander as it’s a long time since I flew the 737, 200 and the very first 300s. I can’t remember the 73s or the 75 and 76 having a speed trim system as described here. Found them all delightfull aircraft to fly manually throughout the speed range.

So, may I ask if it so vital, to meet the arbitrary speed stability requirements of the FAA that another system , with potential for malfunction with potentially serious consequences is really needed. Do we really NEED such a system and since it IS installed is there an instant cutout switch.

When were the values of 3 pounds per 10 knots decided on and why are these exact values so important. Are current models of the 73 significantly more speed unstable than the earlier versions ?

I still remember so clearly the problems caused by runaway tailplanes on my first jets, the Canberra and Valiant. Of course I know the flight control electronics, electrics, were nowhere near so advanced or capable as on present jets.

Is the FAA using, or requiring Boeing to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Just curious!
Just read this good article by Bjorn Ferhrm which explains why the MAX requires this MCAS. The aircraft is more unstable than the NG with the larger engines.
https://leehamnews.com/2018/11/14/bo...to-the-pilots/