PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 16th Nov 2018, 04:44
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
I suppose one could ignore the engine displays and stare at the Rotor Tach to the exclusion of all else....but I would think teaching that concept might not be Industry Best Practice.

Is this something you teach in the Sim?
My team all teach this in the FSTD for nearly a decade and it works. I can be 100% certain that if the candidate is looking at the Nr Gauge he will react quickly and appropriable. We go to significant lengths to prove this to each pilot by doing it in slow time so they understand the extra margin they have to avoid slamming the lever to the floor which inevitably cause handling issues. I also demonstrate this in the AC as the second engine is cut to idle. It works. Obviously the story is bigger than what I am describing here. Flight path management is paramount but we start by getting the pilot to invest in the idea that the Nr gauge is his most reliable indication of a complete power loss. From that concept he can build a strategy that works around the Nr gauge.