PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 15th Nov 2018, 16:16
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gevans35
If that was the case, and I'm not disputing it, in a 100kts cruise and having already lost one engine, how could such an experienced pilot have failed to enter autorotation and control his NR?
Gevans35, If you have sat in the back of a simulator, introduced a double engine failure, cold, to crew in the first hours of their recurrent with no previous practice, you would understand how this can occur. Sadly and possibly to any one of us! For those of us employed on regular CAT we do not ever really have any opportunity to play at autorotation until our arse is dumped in the Recurrent seat each 6 month interval. For GA and FIs its a different story.
That is why for me, maximum efforts should be made to afford MEH pilots time to become fully comfortable with the second engine failing. I go back to what I said at the start. After OEI, the Nr gauge is your only real reference as to what may happen next. Nothing else matters until the remaining engine convinces you it is not going follow its mate.