PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 15th Nov 2018, 13:46
gevans35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
SAS, once the transfer pumps are selected OFF (Which the evidence pointed to in this case), and the fuel in the main tanks is below the level of the overspill, the supply tanks begin to empty in isolation of the main tank. The attitude of the helicopter from this point onwards makes no real difference to the eventual outcome once the supply tanks become depleted. Fuel starvation is inevitable. The helicopter was recovered with virtually zero fuel in the supply tanks and around 78 KGS left in the main tank.

That is my understanding.

It looks to me that the first engine flamed out whilst he was routing back to his home base and 32 seconds later the second flamed out. Looking at the distance covered in those 32 seconds, it would indicate a fast cruise (100kts+).

Unless anyone else has another synopsis to offer.
If that was the case, and I'm not disputing it, in a 100kts cruise and having already lost one engine, how could such an experienced pilot have failed to enter autorotation and control his NR?