PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trim technique
Thread: Trim technique
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2018, 18:22
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, ever since I learned about this I've been wanting to fly a C*U airplane. It's like a normal airplane, but better in every way. Always holds the speed, takes out any pitch couples, I bet they damp out phugoids too...
The 777 is mostly nice to fly - it even removes the need to coordinate the elevator in a turn up to moderate AoB. Where I find it less so sometimes is on the approach where natural speed fluctuations can lead to needing to push/pull a lot more than in other aircraft I’ve flown, as the stick forces track variations away from the FBW trim speed. I have a few theories, one of which is that airspeed is sampled in a couple of locations near the nose, driving the electronic ‘feel’, but the aircraft itself responds to actual airflow over the wings and control surfaces. This can be noticeably different in turbulence and/or near the ground.

In terms of trimming technique, the 777 is a bit of an outlier as a little blip on the trim will move the trim reference to the current airspeed (as long as you are near it), so the temptation is to blip away constantly to remove trim forces, which I try to resist. I don’t feel the need to lead with the trim, which I sometimes did on things like the 737 when changing the configuration or the power setting significantly as you knew you would be out-of-trim shortly after starting, so anticipated the change to keep the forces low.