PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 14th Nov 2018, 10:45
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Make it realistic if you are going to train people and think outside the realms of the RFM if you want to present 'original thought'.

If you are going to write off the aircraft anyway (double engine fail in the high hover at night for example) why be constrained by the RFM when it is going to be a matter of survival.
SIM training by its nature is a (or should be) a very tightly structured environment based upon the RFM, SOP's, Regulations and Rules.

The very last thing that should happen is a Sim Instructor inventing or implanting "out of the box techniques" during the formal curriculum being presented.

That being said....once the set course is complete and if time allows then a bit of experimentation is allowable.

One of the things I did was set up a scenario of a pitch black night, complete overcast, a bit of haze....and a Aircraft Carrier steaming away into wind.....take the aircraft to height....sometimes to ten thousand feet and have the pilot tell me when he could autorotate to the deck and land.

Most failed on the first attempt. All most all did once they were reminded of their earliest learning to maintain a constant angle of approach to the landing pad out in the grass....until of course it has to slide under the aircraft in order for the aircraft to land.

It is not that the pilot would ever see an aircraft carrier at night offshore and experience the need to do an EOL to the carrier.....it was a way to remind them that Basics still apply and can be of great value yet to them.

Some used all of the instruments...some only used some of them....and I am sure some did not look inside much.....the key is it got them to thinking!