PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 14th Nov 2018, 06:18
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
I have to laugh that you are still presenting the use of the rad alt and AI as your 'original thought' and yourself as the be-all and end-all of simulator instruction...

Use of the Rad Alt and AI is basic level instruction for most military pilots - I didn't say it won't help but it isn't a panacea that will help you pull off a night/IMC EOL no matter how many times you can do it in the sim.

Make it realistic if you are going to train people and think outside the realms of the RFM if you want to present 'original thought'.

If you are going to write off the aircraft anyway (double engine fail in the high hover at night for example) why be constrained by the RFM when it is going to be a matter of survival.

Try teaching constant attitude - it allows you to keep a level attitude and then pull hard as the radalt goes through 10' or so - I'm sure it won't work in your sim as the RoD will probably be outside its parameters but its much easier to judge than a flare, especially if you don't have much forward speed to start with.

What do you teach them from the high hover if there is no time to get speed on for the variable flare EOL?