PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 14th Nov 2018, 05:16
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
You were pontificating earlier on this thread about how the certification process meant that pilots were placed in a position where they had to use a Shedbus switch to select the radalt and landing lamp - and then went into your diatribe about teaching pilots to flare using the rad alt to asses the ground (hardly new since that was taught in the Lynx sim in MW in the early 90's) and claiming it was the best way to prepare them for night/IMC/overwater EOLs. it's not a new technique - although you make it sound like you invented it - and is certainly not original thought - this has been the a topic of crewroom discussion for as long as I can remember.

Despite your protestations, if you are at night with no NVG, judging the flare (not just the height but the amount and rate for the conditions) is far more difficult than a constant attitude where all you have to do is pull the lever in.

In all your 'valuable' teaching (of egg sucking) you have missed the point of this thread - a double engine flameout in the hover with no time for clever switch selections or judging flare height for an EOL - if you can teach pilots to deal with that on a no-notice exercise with repeated success I'll be very surprised indeed.
You are right. I mixed up my threads!
Based on what you write above I think you agree then that references are difficult so use of the RADALT could help?
"Clever switch selections" - this is nothing to do with me. I hope you understand that. Its just the way the EC135 works! However, all emergency descents require some actions. The Bus Shed switch is also required in a B412!
"Constant Attitude Autos" - we are obliged to teach whatever is in the flight manual. Its civvy not Military.
"Egg Sucking" - its taken you two pages to finally agree the value of the RADALT. Maybe we can get you to understand the value of the AI also?
Finally It would be my pleasure to take you to the FSTD and teach you hover EOLS. Maybe you would be the exception to the my normal candidates and not have repeated success and thus prove me wrong!