PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2018, 04:19
double_barrel

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi all. An update triggered by a new round of frustration!

I am approaching 20 hours. Almost everything seems to be coming together really well. I now seem to have plenty of time to do everything I need to. I am hearing all the radio calls and replying appropriately. All that stuff that I memorized but could not recall under pressure is now coming naturally. I feel relaxed and comfortable on the controls and my speed and altitude is pretty much bang on throughout the circuit

BUT!!! I cannot land the !@#$%^& thing! My landings are consistently terrible and I don't know why or what to do about it. The approach is perfect. I am reliably crossing the threshold a hair over 60Kn with 20 degrees of flap, I feel completely in control, and then it goes to rat****. I usually kind of hang there maybe 20' above the ground, loosing airspeed and wondering what to do next! My instructor tells me to 'flare' much more aggressively, it's true I am not pulling back, but I think it's more about timing the flare than actually doing it! If I do it too high or aggressively we drop down like a ton of bricks (or maybe I just fear we will?), if I do it too late we fly into the ground. I cannot get that right. I have watched so many freaking youtube videos on how to land a 172!, but I am not getting it!

Any thoughts from your collective wisdom gratefully received!

Last edited by double_barrel; 14th Nov 2018 at 04:36.