PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2018, 01:14
ECR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
My money is on IAG as previously posted.

Keep the stand alone routes that make money, roll some of the fleet into EI and some into CityFlyer.

cs
Much as I would love IAG to buy Flybe, I really don't think it would happen.

I think though if IAG were interested they could make money by operating under the BA branding. The planes are similar in size to the BA Cityflyer ones, albeit, turboprops rather than jets. The could ditch some of the loss making routes and use the planes to expand at London City, whilst keeping the more profitable ones.

The market has changed a lot since BA exited BA Connect. At that time the low cost carriers were a novelty and price alone was the prime focus. Now the novelty has worn off and it is not all about the lowest cost anymore. Some of the customers are willing to pay a bit more for a perceived better service. Many people will have been introduce to flying by low cost carriers, but as they have got a bit older and better off they are willing to pay a bit more. BA can offer a more upmarket image, internationally known brand, a global alliance, a frequent flyer scheme and a much wider marketing platform through the BA website.

An ideal scenario would be a partnership between Stobart and IAG buying flybe, and flying under the BA brand, but making use of Stobart's experience of operating turboprops.

Unfortunately though I just can't see IAG being interested.