PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 13th Nov 2018, 16:53
[email protected]

Received 651 Likes on 286 Posts
DB - I think you have your threads mixed up - this isn't the TR malfunction at TDP thread.

You were pontificating earlier on this thread about how the certification process meant that pilots were placed in a position where they had to use a Shedbus switch to select the radalt and landing lamp - and then went into your diatribe about teaching pilots to flare using the rad alt to asses the ground (hardly new since that was taught in the Lynx sim in MW in the early 90's) and claiming it was the best way to prepare them for night/IMC/overwater EOLs.

it's not a new technique - although you make it sound like you invented it - and is certainly not original thought - this has been the a topic of crewroom discussion for as long as I can remember.

Despite your protestations, if you are at night with no NVG, judging the flare (not just the height but the amount and rate for the conditions) is far more difficult than a constant attitude where all you have to do is pull the lever in.

In all your 'valuable' teaching (of egg sucking) you have missed the point of this thread - a double engine flameout in the hover with no time for clever switch selections or judging flare height for an EOL - if you can teach pilots to deal with that on a no-notice exercise with repeated success I'll be very surprised indeed.