PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 13th Nov 2018, 10:42
[email protected]

Received 651 Likes on 286 Posts
With a lot more flying in my logbook than you and I suspect a lot more Aircraft and FSTD Instruction than you. So cut me a bit of slack.
oooh have you got a ladder to that ivory tower of yours or is there an express lift to get you so far above the rest of us?

I've only been instructing since 1989 and only have 3000 plus hours of instructional time including some in the sim so what do I know?

Not only have I flown extensively in many FSTDs over the years and seen the quality of them improve in terms of flying qualities and graphics but I have taken part in handling quality assessments of FSTDs for DVE training and operational SAR training so I'm not a numpty either.

As Sasless has highlighted - and I think he has much more sim experience than you - simulators are not perfect and can lull you into a false ense of security.

FTSDs are excellent for a lot of things but the subtlties of advancing handling isn't one of them.

I agree that confidence is a vital part of flying but false confidence is dangerous. By all means teach people to monitor the rad alt and AI for such exercises as EOLS but don't make them believe it will be that simple in the real case.