PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 13th Nov 2018, 10:26
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
However, I am yet again interested in your approach to this. If you think FSTD Training has no value, how can we possibly prepare ourselves for these events.
I have taught in Full Motion Sims and have done the Flight Instructor and Check Airman thing as you have.

I fully understand the benefit and shortcomings of even the most sophisticated Simulator system.

Part of the handling problem is the delay....however short...between the Sim Computer and the Visual Computer....which can often cause PIO's.

Likewise...the Visual lack of cues at the surface becomes an issue due to the lack of detail and texture.

More importantly is the level of care taken by the Sim Operator (Instructor, facility, and owner) in providing effective training.

When you have to start off telling your students to fly the Sim and accept it is not the real aircraft (because of the visual limitations) that alone should tell you something about just how far you can go in thinking the Sim accurately reproduces the characteristics of the Aircraft.

When you learn to fly the Sim....your performance improves in the flying of the Sim.

That proficiency does not transfer directly to the actual aircraft.

The closer in time you flown the actual aircraft in some ways retards that acclimation to the Sim as your body does not like the absence of feeling it gets replicating maneuvers done recently in the actual aircraft.....some actually get "Sim Sick" somewhat similar to Air Sickness.

Question for you.....if your aircraft can provide you say.....110% Nr or 120% Nr during autorotation.....would you require the Pilot to drag it down with Collective to 100% during a real EOL?