PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 13th Nov 2018, 09:15
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
and there lies the problem - you can convince yourself you have learned a valuable skill that is transferrable to the real world - in reality you have learned to play a computer game.

My kids trounce me at computer games including driving ones - why? Because they have played them for hours and have the muscle memory and feedback sorted - in the real world I can drive much better than them because I have real world experience and feedback.

Aceing a EOL in the sim is satisfying because you have beaten the machine but it is not a real world skill - it might put you in the ballpark but, as you know, no matter how well you flare and check (if you use one), the only thing matters is the level attitude for landing and keeping it straight on the run on.

every sim instructor in the world believes this - and it is true for manoeuvres that have accurate data from the real aircraft - not likely for EOLs in a twin.
Crab I think you are rather missing the point. We cannot practice this in the real helicopter. Just as we cannot practice many things. I am not only a SIM Instructor. I am an operational pilot also. With a lot more flying in my logbook than you and I suspect a lot more Aircraft and FSTD Instruction than you. So cut me a bit of slack. You are not dealing here with a numpty. I also took time to research those pilots that have had these real world events. I learned from them what they experienced. I took that to the FSTD Flight Loop design and consultation with the experts, such as Test Pilots and OEM Staff, we took the FSTD to a level which provides realistic and appropriate training. Taken holistically, I have to make a judgement in the FSTD as to what value can be gained from the device. Most of the time, mindful that I will be taking the candidates onto the helicopter for consolidation.
I realise how easy it is for naysayers to claim that the FSTD is not the real world. However it is all we have for these critical exercises. I take the time to provide the people who pass through my hands with as much practice and information that I can give them.
If the unthinkable ever happens to them or me, I know that we have a solid strategy to deal with it. It may not be exactly the same in the real world but its better to have a solid plan and a skill that represents the best possible outcome for us. It is a confidence building thing. Sometimes, belief in what we are doing is a major advantage when things go wrong.
In fairness, an EOL is a simple exercise when taught properly and practice. Achieve the gate flare height at the correct speed with 100% NR. Execute a reasonable flare and wait until the ground gets close. Check, level and cushion. Its not rocket science. Done with a degree of competence, even a poor surface to touchdown should result in survival.
Often I get a candidate who has no confidence in the FSTD OR that what he is being asked to do is relevant to the real world. Majority of these candidates struggle as they try to judge the flare height and check heights by visual reference. We all know that even the best visual system does not provide enough visual cues for this. Many of them simply overcontrol due to the lack of feedback in the motion system. All of them respond well to direction as to what cues matter and what cues are misleading. Use of the RADALT (if available) is paramount to their success. Careful application of pitch attitude for the flare and level off comes with practice and reference to the AI. ALL of these skills translate directly to the real helicopter.

However, I am yet again interested in your approach to this. If you think FSTD Training has no value, how can we possibly prepare ourselves for these events.