PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 13th Nov 2018, 08:57
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
No surprise then, that armed with the optimum descent speed, optimum flare height for each type, I was able to grease EOLs in these FSTDs every time.
and there lies the problem - you can convince yourself you have learned a valuable skill that is transferrable to the real world - in reality you have learned to play a computer game.

My kids trounce me at computer games including driving ones - why? Because they have played them for hours and have the muscle memory and feedback sorted - in the real world I can drive much better than them because I have real world experience and feedback.

Aceing a EOL in the sim is satisfying because you have beaten the machine but it is not a real world skill - it might put you in the ballpark but, as you know, no matter how well you flare and check (if you use one), the only thing matters is the level attitude for landing and keeping it straight on the run on.

I am very confident that what we were teaching in the FSTD will work well in the helicopter
every sim instructor in the world believes this - and it is true for manoeuvres that have accurate data from the real aircraft - not likely for EOLs in a twin.

The only thing you can hope for with an EOL on a twin is that it is survivable - letting pilots believe that they will grease it on and not damage the paintwork is just fanciful.