PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 13th Nov 2018, 06:19
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys, off course in the FSTD (SIM). EC225 with OEM Datapack. However, I suspect from your responses that you generally seem to believe this has no value. If that is the case then WHERE and WHEN can we develop these skills. Not allowed in a MEH in EASA and prohibited in most MEH Flight Manuals.

Is it realistic??. Having done many EOLS in the real helicopter during my Army days and 1 for real as a pointless Civvy, I would say its the best possible alternative we have.

Practicing EOLs in the FSTD, as SAS points out, is not easy due to the availability of clear ground references in the final stage. HOWEVER, that is my exact point. The only real way to be successful in the FSTD is to reference to the RADALT and get used to the nose up attitude by reference to the AI as the seat of the pants feeling is not the same. Something interesting begins to happen when you practice and teach this. Pilots begin to develop the ability to EOL by sole reference to the instruments until the nose drops for the final pull.

This skill will certainly prove successful in good Day VMC over a over flat area.
It provides the best possible outcome if IMC or at Night
If IMC or really bad Night conditions then the final outcome is determined from the lay of the land but if you think about it, this is not in the pilots remit. If he can get to the flare point in good shape, on progfile, he will always stand the best possible chance. Lady luck determines the landing area unless height and visibility afford this to the pilot.

My point is, don't be dismissive of the real value FSTD Training in respect of EOLs can provide.

In the last few years I have been trained myself in other FSTDs (B412/EC135), in both cases the TRI/TRE looking after me was sceptical about the value of the FSTD he was using for EOL practice. Often stating its not possible to do a good EOL in the sim due to references, feedback etc. However, I was very fortunate to have had a FSTD at my disposal for several years where I worked hard developing these skillsets. No surprise then, that armed with the optimum descent speed, optimum flare height for each type, I was able to grease EOLs in these FSTDs every time.

Now I am not a highly skilled pilot. I work hard and get good results but I would be honest and say I am not a "Natural". However, the point of my post is I am proof that armed with good knowledge, afforded plenty of practice, EOLS can be successfully taught in most modern FSTDs if the flight loop at the bottom is sufficient.

Wed have nothing else to hang our hat on.