PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military cargo aircraft crash - Savannah, Georgia
Old 13th Nov 2018, 04:37
DCThumb

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One minor point that has been overlooked is the aircraft behaviour at rotate as it almost departed the runway. Normally the pilot will remove his hand from the nosewheel steering at around 60 kits. In this instance it was immediately before rotate at around 95kts, whereupon the aircraft began to veer to the left.

This sounds similar to the RAF incident during a practise windmill start where the pilot subconsciously/inadvertently was using nosewheel steering against the swing of the inoperative engine. At 60kts when he removed his hand to take the control column, the aircraft veered off the runway.

Incidentally, as I recall, normal practise was not to do a standing start to adjust ‘throttle gubbins’ as stated earlier - there was nothing to adjust. Not was it routine on the first flight of the day in the RAF. The only time I recall it being mandated other than for performance was when we had bleed air issues. However, I think most people would have carried out a standing start on an aircraft that had RPM problems on its last flight and had had work carried out to rectify the issue.

Inevitably a ‘chain’ of errors leading to a tragic loss of life. Very sad.