PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armistice 100/ Victory 100
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2018, 15:31
Alber Ratman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly the most humbling Remembrance Sunday I will ever attend anywhere in my lifetime. Horse Guards was full for the form up, I got to meet many members of the association I am now a member of, including the oldest surviving WWII drivers, the aircrew and engineers from that time to now and swap stories. I saw many old friends from other tours and places. Marching out onto Whitehall gave an idea what I was going to see and hear. The acts of remembrance, the hearing of many people that would not normally sing do so on the tops of their voices. The march past, cheering the Pensioners, applauding the other associations as they marched off, Marching off and the Eyes left salute. The thousands applauding you from the side. The return to Horse Guards. The most humbling events of the day. Waiting in the Foyer of the RAF Club before going to Horse Guards, seeing another Granby veteran. We say hello and ask where we were. I mention what I was and the what I did as an engineer, his reply was alas he didn’t know much first hand as he had been shot down and not treated very nicely. Robbie Stewart. The other happened to myself and another ex Sqn engineer that had served out in Iraq with them 14 years before I was born. We were walking back to the RAF club via the Mall and the peoples march was waiting to march off. We were the only veterans around on that stretch for some reason and sections of the march were applauding us. Very humbling. I replied back by applauding them, I was in awe of them. None of us were there to celebrate Victory.