PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 12th Nov 2018, 14:31
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyWasRight
From the picture it seems improbable that both locking means were missing/misinstalled.
There is a more subtle issue of the effects of the washer (140) either missing or on the wrong side. This would not jump out on a visual inspection like missing locking means would.

Not discernible from the drawing but appears that the shoulder the washer sits on is probably just a bit larger than the hole in the hinge bracket (90).
did you magnify the photo?
If you haven't, please do. I see the arrangement in the photo as indicated in the drawing.
I saw that the photo matches the drawing as expected since the photo is of a correct assembly. My question was about possibility of an incorrect assembly with the washer on the wrong side, under the nut, and if that was even possible without causing an obvious problem. If it is possible then the hardened rod shoulder could stress the 'hinge bracket element (90)' and cause a failure,especially if the shoulder was significantly smaller than the outside diameter of the washer.

Without detailed drawings and system knowledge whether misassembly is even possible is an open question though feed back from GeordiMike suggests it probably would be obvious due to offsets in the servo loop.
Also if washer misplacement (or missing) is possible seems that it would have been an explicit check in the AD which does not mention the washer.
Then again something did go wrong, as others have said will be clear in final report.