PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2018, 07:43
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I assume that the F-35B shipborne trials are proceeding. I wonder if the programme currently being filmed by Chris Terrill will mention all the measures taken post SDSR 10 to preserve the skills needed to make it possible - some of which are well known, other possible ones have been hinted at....?

Anyway - I wanted to post this from the UK Defence Journal: Merlin helicopters and frigates protect US assault ship in war games

I wanted to make a few points:

1. ASW helicopters are key for ASW operations. This news page from the RN website has more information about what the Merlins aboard HM Ships Westminster and Northumberland did during the exercise. However 24/7 dipping means something like eight or nine aircraft, and that means a carrier.

2. Carriers are not the only high value units within a task group that need to be defended by frigates, destroyers, and aircraft.

3. Task Group operations lie at the heart of both deterrence and war fighting.

4. Non Towed Array sonar/Merlin equipped frigates, and Type 45 destroyers, have an ASW capability with hull mounted sonar and Wildcat, as proved recently by HMS Diamond. You may also be interested in the fighter control and other things mentioned.