PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B744F off the runway in YHZ
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2018, 02:32
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks again for more great pictures Mudman. Do you shoot in RAW and edit in LR?

I hope the TSB finds those fan blades. Most probably not related to the cause of the mishap in this case, however. Part of a CF6 disk was found nearly 3000 feet from the plane in the AA383 abort at ORD a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted by giggitygiggity
Constructively, ATC were trying to help, perhaps they could be more clear and calculate the tailwind component and press their concerns by matter of factly asking again, 'are you sure you want to land with a 21kt tailwind?'
I've never seen ATC calculate a tailwind component for me. I did have a couple of colleagues violated by the FAA years ago after an inspector in the cockpit of another aircraft observed them doing a tailwind takeoff in excess of the ten knot limit on that aircraft.

Just for clarity, while the quartering tailwind was gusting to 21 knots, the tailwind component was less due to the direction.

From the JACDEC transcript I posted earlier:

Tower: „SkyCube 4854, tailwind now 280 at 16 confirm gusting 21, confirm runway 14 still acceptable ?“

GG 4854: „Confirm..ah, still for 14.“
I get a 16 knot tailwind component for this wind gust on runway 14.

Tower: „SkyCube 4854 heavy, tower roger, wind 260 at 16 gusting 21 cleared to land on 14.“

GG 4854: „Cleared to land..ah.. affir..clear to land on 14, SkyCube 4854 heavy“

Tower: „Roger.“
With this final wind check the tailwind component is 10 knots in the gust as the reported direction swings more to a crosswind.