PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interviews
Thread: Interviews
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2003, 23:58
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I start by saying it is obviously good manners to reply to any individual that takes the time to prepare a CV and send it in and all companies should do their best to do so. But in some the volume of work really does affect the ability of the recruiting staff to reply in orderly fashion, as much as they know they should. This is particularly true in some low cost operations where staff are already hard pressed and HR support is limited. Recruiting the right people for the job vacancy is actually a difficult thing to do
(at least to do well), as anyone who has had to recruit and manage will tell you.

The Company that spares you the interview based on your present (higher) salary is doing you a favour, few move for less.

Bladums, on your point about experience and CV's. CV's usually only get you through the door for a look-see and if you but knew it often only the first half page is read when a job has been over subscribed and there is a mass of applicants. The interview is what confirms your level of experience in the minds of the interviewer. And of course experience usually amounts to only half of job requirement, 'will he/she fit in, can he/she do the job', (in that order), you have to answer yes to both questions before hiring someone. Your point about training as we discussed on another post is valid, but again there is, to my mind anyway, no better case for hiring somebody than if they have been self motivated enough to get out there and obtain an airline flt ops qualification such as the ICAO or FAA licences. This sets a baseline for anyone who is taking care in trying to find the right person. It’s not a guarantee of course, but it’s a very strong point in your favour.

Can I say also, don't malign those wannabe pilots who route through ops, they often pay their dues in ops and do it well. The same rule of self motivation applies. If someone has had the get up and go to do a frozen ATPL with 150 hours or so under their belt and are working their way up to a flying job through airlines ops, then good on them. I've hired many and almost to a man they have proven to the best of ops officers- and they take that knowledge with them to the flight deck for the future.

If you really want to work for a Company then you may need to press and dare I say pester them. Enthusiasm goes a long way and I would say, in this day and age, the courtesy that was once shown to prospective employees is on the way out, or at least with internet applications etc., its getting less much less personal. Not to mention the volume of applications probably triples on the web versus by post so it's alot of work for companies to sort out. In fact, I'd question the use of internet applications for that reason alone.

Last edited by no sig; 17th Oct 2003 at 00:10.