PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 11th Nov 2018, 19:03
tottigol

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sycamore
For; Blade Slap,totti,M3- perhaps I should have put the phrase about the CG` beyond the nose`` in italics/commas,or a couple of smilies.It was meant to imply that the loss of a tail-rotor and gearbox will have a very significant FWD C o G change,irrespective of where it was originally,and if it was FWD AT THE TIME you will get a significant NOSE DOWN pitch.
In my case ,I had 2 engineers at the front of the cabin,looking at the rear of the engine and reduction g.box checking for oil leaks,as we had just done an engine out,change a component /pipe on the back of the gearbox,, engine back in,and RTB.,so my CoG was well Fwd anyway.
I might suggest if you are pilots or gingerbeers that you go ,find the appropriate tech manual which shows all the weights for tailrotor ,g/box,etc and work out the resultant change of C o G ,if they should depart,......
SAS,DB, thanks....
Not all aircraft are affected the same, it seems that the 212/412, perhaps the H-1 series and civilian counterparts suffer the most.
I am aware of more than one 407 TRGB and a portion of tailboom departures back in '98/2000 where a successful autorotation was made at least once to the water (PHI GoM 1998 or '99) with a full load of passengers, the pilot reported no excessive pitch down moment.
As far as consulting the appropriate tech manuals, I have access to a couple of types (which I cannot disclose) and we ran calculations confirming that the loss of the TRGB and the TR blades does not move the CG forward to a catastrophic unrecoverable value.
HTH