PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trim technique
Thread: Trim technique
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2018, 18:39
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
I don't understand the C* lingo, nor do I fly an Airbus or any of these new-fangled FBW machines, but doesn't the Airbus just automatically trim the speed out ie it's pitch stable (slow down, no backtrim required), instead of Boeings being speed stable (slow down, back trim required)?

In any case, with other underslung aeroplanes eg 777, doesn't the FBW remove any thrust-pitch coupling using I imagine first the elevators then trim with the pilot even knowing it's happening?

I'm with ACMS. Control a "normal" aeroplane with the elevators, then trim away any residual force. You can use Vesspot's technique of anticipating trim requirements (flaps extension say) but you run the real risk of subconsciously doing it more and more. This is bad.

Pulling and pushing in the sim I say to myself occasionally "Bloggs, the speed and config hasn't changed, stop trimming!!".
Yes no pitch trim required on the A320, hand flew level, reduced the speed from 320 to 210, never had to pull back on the stick.

As far as waiting till you need trim, I flew the F50. When going from flaps 15 to flaps 25 it would balloon up, and would require 2 full revolutions of the trim wheel. If you waited till you felt the pressure you would need two hands on the controls to be able to keep the aircraft level, and would need to ask the other pilot to trim for you. There is definitely a time and place for anticipatory trimming.