PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Chart simplification! why, why, WHY?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2003, 23:30
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if we looked into it a bit, Designated Remote Areas were probably set up based on expectations that a search in the area for a missing aircraft would be difficult to undertake because of the equipment and technology available at the time. Pilots of the era had to carry certain survival equipment and utilise contact procedures based on the expectation that communication would be lost and any search for a missing aircraft and its occupants could be a protracted affair. Maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but I am also assuming designated remote areas were established sometime in the first half of the last century when satellites were unknown, search teams relied solely on visual cues and the Mark I eyeball, airlines were doing well to have a couple of flights a day on the east coast, other aviation traffic over the areas was almost non-existent and the few helicopters in the country, if any, were devoted to use by the military.
Do those circumstances and reasons for establishing designated remote areas and depicting them on charts still exist?

Regarding FIA boundaries. I think they were established to indicate a changeover point from one frequency to the next for full reporting procedures. If all aircraft were on, or required to be on, the same frequency, then the boundaries would still be useful. But pilots are not on the one frequency anymore. So, other than providing a very, very rough guide for approximate radio coverage, what use are they now? And after NAS comes in, the frequency variations will be even more pronounced with some aircraft on VFR chat freqs, others on Class E, others on CTAF, each with different radio requirements. The frequency each aircraft will be on will be dependent on their altitude, position, configuration, intentions, etc. So what information would you expect to receive from still having the boundaries marked, and how dependable could you expect that information to be? Just my thoughts, but after NAS they will be pointless. There'll be no boundary for a frequency to indicate and VHF radio range will do as it has always done and improve with altitude.

I think while much of this might not seem logical at this stage, it will become apparent and self-explanatory as we become accustomed to working in the NAS environment...I hope.

Last edited by Lodown; 17th Oct 2003 at 04:44.