PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2018, 04:42
ZFT
N4790P

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Oh, come on now - if "Globally, they fail dismally", how do you explain the simple fact that commercial aviation has never been safer? With the growth in commercial aviation, if we had the same accident rate now that they had in the 1970s, we'd be having a major accident at least once a week. Heck, even the Indonesian accident rate - as poor as it is compared to most of the world, is still better than what was considered good 50 years ago. I regularly visit Indonesia, and I still consider flying there to be safer than taking a bus or boat.
Sure, we need to know what happened, and why, and make changes to ensure it doesn't happen again. That's the way the industry works (and why it's gotten so much better than it was even 20 years ago). But don't loose track of how far we've come.

BTW gums, ignore the critics. Most of us know who you are, value your inputs and piloting accomplishments, and don't mind you being slightly eccentric (you've earned it).
tdracer

No argument from me.

Aviation today is incredibly safe just about everywhere and this is testament to just about every facet involved.

My comment referred to the great variation in applied standards, that are (or are not) enforced, even with the major regulators and I stand by my comment that "Globally they fail miserably"