PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ownership of risk
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 22:59
Aurora Australis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the FIG spend the revenue generated by fishing licences etc pay for Stanley to be opened fully. Noting that they get the use of the military airfield for more or less free.
CBTL - you make a point of repeatedly referring to it as a military airport. While you are certainly correct that it is operated by the military, it is Mount Pleasant International Airport. It comes under the jurisdiction of the Falkland Islands DCA, and while the majority of the day to day running is done by the military, the justification for building it in the first place was that in addition to allowing the defence of the islands, it would help to make the Falklands economy viable by being an International gateway.
You say
regardless of what the Met People state, once 56//// is in their forecast it will invoke restrictions
- at the risk of repeating what I have suggested earlier in this thread, I do not agree with that. It seems reasonable to me not to depart from Cape Verde to a destination that in 10 hours time has a possibility of severe turbulence that would require a diversion to Montevideo, but the way the military apply their rules, regardless of actual conditions at the time, they will not permit an aircraft to depart during a period of forecast 56//// even when the actual conditions clearly are not anywhere near those that produce the turbulence. And also will not allow a civilian flight, airborne with 20 minutes to run, during benign conditions, to make an approach.

And High Spirits, yes there have been go-arounds at MPA due to turbulence, but that is not unique to the Falklands - just look at the number of Youtube videos of bumpy crosswind approaches and go-arounds at Leeds Bradford. (By the way, 5-10 minutes after a go-around before an announcement to the passengers does not seem particularly unusual - they have a few more pressing things to discuss before letting you know what is going on).