PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 19:21
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got access to a MAX FFS?

Originally Posted by phil gollin

Normally by this time in a crash thread someone chirps up and says - well I had some time in a simulator today and ..........

No one done that yet ?

(Also, I agree about the lack of CVR yet)

I've tried to point out that with the MAX, all Level D FFS simulators will be using a binary supplied by Boeing that encapsulates pretty much the entire simulation - this binary is essentially the rehosted avionics, flight control computers, AP, and models for all the systems and flight characteristics AND importantly provides all the supported malfunctions that the instructor/lesson plan system has available.

This malfunction list will include malfunctions that have traditionally been used for this aircraft type, and whatever new ones Boeing deemed useful//required.

However, it seems (based on the Boeing E-AD) that the insidious uses of AOA in the flight control computer and subsequent trim behavior when the AOA signal goes wonky was not something anyone really saw coming. My bet is any flight sim out there doesn't provide an AOA 'wonky' malfunction, and hence would be unable to replicate this crash. Maybe I'm wrong, but the way current generation flight simulators are put together relies almost wholly on the aircraft manufacturer for things like this now.

- GY