PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bomb Disposal to be disbanded
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 18:32
Slow Biker

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the hierarchy can give many reasons for disbanding the only bomb disposal unit in the RAF, but I take a more emotional view. Last evening I attended the RAF Bomb Disposal Officers' Reunion Dinner held by the Commander of 5131(BD) Sqn. The theme was celebrating 75 years of continuous RAF BD operation; the current iteration, 5131(BD) Sqn, was stood up in 1995, formed from individual co-located EOD Flights. During the dinner, between courses, individual officers and SNCOs presented vignettes of their experience during operations in Iraq, Kosovo and Afghanistan; a retired officer spoke about the Falkland Islands - he was too modest to mention the QGM he was awarded. If the VSOs who decided to shut down the sqn had been there to hear the stories of courage and resourcefulness maybe they would think otherwise. But as a realist, I doubt it. The Sqn Cdr was visibly upset when he announced the decision, more so in the manner in which it was communicated. As a former Sqn Warrant Officer I still think of 5131 as 'my' sqn and last night I felt immensely proud of the young men who serve today. I am sad about the sqn's demise, but as Mr Vice said last night, they can take the Squadron but they can't take the Badge.

PN. I can discuss Joint Service tasking and where munitions can safely be destroyed, but not on this reply.