PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:53
Sandisondaughter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 Squadron RAF in World War One

Sorry if this is not strictly related to main discussion on this thread but I thought someone here may be able to help. As well as my father being a Lanc Pilot in WW2, my mother's father joined the RCAF in March 1918 shortly before the RAF was established. I have his service record but am struggling to get more details about 15 Squadron's activities in the final months of the war and afterwards in 1919, when my grandfather was stationed in France at the age of 18.

Also in terms of his own record, his trade is given as Wrlss Op Lnr 18 A 55 (not sure what the Lnr 18 A 55 bit means?). Attached are the movements listed on his record but all handwritten. The only initials I understand are BEF - the rest is a mystery to me. Can anyone point me to sources of help a) for 15 Squadron's first world war activity and b) for understanding the service record abbreviations? I also have a photo of the Squadron taken in France on 1 Dec 1918 which must be of interest to some archive? Very many thanks in advance again and once again apologies for being off-thread.
Attached Files